>The Apache Xalan project for what ever reason hasn’t continued working on a XSLT 2.0 implementation. However, in their Subversion repository is the source code for the start of a XSLT 2.0 implementation. This however was last updated it appears in 2003, so I suspect much work needs to be done to bring it into compliance. I’ve started working on this as a side project. There are a couple of reasons for this:
- First while it is nice to have Saxon as an open source implementation for XSLT 2.0, there are some IP issues that can make some adopters shy away from it. Eclipse is one of these organizations.
- The XSL Tools project needs a way to test support for XSLT 2.0, so one way is to take the Xalan code base from apache, and see if I can get it working. This will at least allow a code base that should pass Eclipse IP review, and since the code seems abandonded I may be able to make this an offical EPL licensed version of the code.
- Lastly, I like messing around with this stuff. It’s entertaining.
So far, I’ve add to rework some of the code, very slightly to get rid of some compilation errors as it was expecting an old version of Xerces for the grammar support. The code now compiles cleanly and I need to check to see if there are any unit tests for this code (probably not). So maybe over the weekend I can take some simple XSLT 2.0 style sheets and start to test some functionality.